Friday, November 13, 2009

How do they do it?

Every day at work, my boss and I copy the crossword from the paper, complete as much as possible, and compare our work. Since my memory is lodged into a more recent century, many clues and answers escape me. No, I didn't know the kid's nursery rhyme about Jack Sprat and his lardo wifey that originated in 1639. No, I had no clue that Mel Torme was a famous crooner. We're lucky I knew what crooner meant. So obviously I have my share of crossword angst.

Thursdays and Fridays crosswords are pretty challenging. I do fairly well, but definitely have more blanks than Wednesdays. My favorite thing now when I'm stumped is a blog called Diary of a Crossword Fiend. This person blogs every day with answers and explanations for four to six different crosswords they completed that very day. So ok, they finish four to six difficult crosswords and blog about it by the time I finish my lunch? How do they do it?? I can't even finish one by two pm. Ergh.

No comments:

Post a Comment