Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Life vs TV

I have a passion for HGTV and the Food Network.  Give me a carpenter and I could have a room re-done and looking fantastic.  I have a decent talent for cooking and don't often jack up a dish I'm working on.  My problem is - I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming and life is not a television episode.  There are no giant stores with discount furniture and furnishings.  There are no specialty food markets here.  Sometimes you can't even find fresh regular produce!  Sure, I could travel an hour or two to find these things.  But unless you are majorly overhauling a home or planning a super special dinner party, you can't jet off for a 45 minute drive to the next closest city. 

I'd like to see HGTV or a Dinner Impossible show make magic happen with local buys in a more rural area.  Get out of Ontario Canada or New York City and focus on the regular folks that don't live in a giant urban area.  Try Cheyenne!  Sure, you can find the random cute vintage chair or lamp at one of our few antique or junk stores.  Yes, sometimes King Soopers carries seafood that doesn't smell like 10 day old trout. 

I realize that with the right checking account, you can have whatever you want.  But with limited funds, you have to get pretty clever with your purchases if you still want the wow factor. 

Maybe this is justification for my mediocre surroundings.  Maybe it is.  Maybe I still have a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment